Friday, February 5, 2016

how i saved my leather bag

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile, but life got in the way. When I say awhile, I actually mean like 3 months ago. You know how things are. Oops, heh.

Also, I apologize in advance for poor quality iPhone photos. I literally decided to document my experience as it happened.

A few months ago, my Camelbak water bottle leaked inside my beloved Madewell leather tote. I was devastated. The Camelbak guaranteed it wouldn't leak, yet it did. Not just once. But twice. Oh, my heart. The first time it leaked, I didn't realize it had leaked until my friend pointed out that my bag was wet and then I peeked inside and felt my things wet and then saw dark blotches on the outside of the bag. I swore I would never let it leak again, and then a few weeks later it leaked. Seriously, Camelbak?! Literally my worst nightmare.

After the second leak, my bag had slightly noticeable dark splotches around the lower section of the bag. It was hardly noticeable to other people, but it stood out like a sore thumb to me. And when things bother me, they really bother me. Like, obsessively-can't-stop-thinking-about-it type of bother.

So I turned to the most reliable source I know.

Google.

I know, I know. You're going to tell me Don't trust Google all the time! But you know what, it never fails me. Oh, what does this word mean? Google. Why are there small red bumps on my face? Google. How do I connect my laptop to a network printer? You betcha, Google. See?! It knows all.

After reading a few blog posts about women who also experienced this dreadful situation like me and their solutions, I took the risk in an attempt to save my Madewell tote.

I can't promise you my recommendation is 100% trustworthy as I've only done it once, but hey it worked for me that one time.

Here's my process:

Fill the entire bag with room temperature tap water until it fills to the brim. (Boy, that was scary. Thoughts running through my head included...

oh my gosh I'm going to completely wreck my bag

there goes my graduation money...

please god I hope this works 

wow, that's a lot of water. in my bag.)


Once it fills to the brim, let it soak until the entire bag (both inside and outside) are wet. It should all look the same dark shade now. Don't worry, the bag won't stay this dark forever. I also soaked the handles just in case they came out a different shade as the rest of the the bag. 

Once the entire bag is completely soaked, carefully pour out the water into the sink and let the bag sit in the sink for a few minutes to let any remaining water drip out. 

After it isn't dripping anymore, bring the bag to a place where it can hang dry in a shaded area.  I brought mine outside and let it hang on a patio chair out of the sun. I also folded a bath towel and placed it on the bottom of the inside of my bag to soak and dry up the water from the inside. This also helps the bag keep its shape on the bottom. 


My bag looks pretty dark in this picture. But the next picture shows it an hour later and it looks a shade lighter.


After about 4 hours outside in the shade, bring it inside to dry. I mainly brought it inside because I didn't want to let it sit outside overnight, so I hung it on my bedroom door handle and placed a fan in front of it overnight to speed up the drying process. 

I was really worried my bag would remain a lot darker than when I had originally purchased it. But patience is always a virtue. About a day in a half later, my bag was completely dry, it returned to the same shade as when I first bought it, and there were no more ugly splotches on the bag! 

It became stiff for about a week, but after a lot of daily use it has now become the same smooth, soft, beloved tote I remembered it as before this whole spillage fiasco. 

I hope this helps you in the future if you ever somehow mess up your leather bag! I don't know if this process works for anything else besides water as my spillage was only water.

Comment below to let me know if you try this, and how it turns out for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric