Wednesday, August 5, 2015

my long weekend in Portlandia

Two weekends ago, I decided to take a spontaneous trip to Portland with my friend Tony. Emphasis on spontaneous because I realized while booking my flights that I was going on vacation the weekend before Finals Week. #yolo

Rather than explaining in great detail what I did in the city (because that would be rather boring), I decided to just list out major sightseeing and food destinations we went to in case any of you plan on visiting Portland in the future.

Also, most of my outfit plans were ruined because it ended up pouring for two days. Womp, womp. I should've believed the weather forecast for once. 

outfit no. 1// new balance sneakers / sunglasses / striped tee (from A&F called boxy boy tee or something) / shorts

outfit no. 2 // striped tee (similar) / new balance sneakers / sunglasses / ucla baseball cap / yoga pants

outfit no. 3 // new balance sneakers / sunglasses / tank (anthropologie) / jeans (similar)

outfit no. 4 // romper (similar) / sandals (old) / watch
Food
Deschutes Brewery - Definitely recommend this place. Food was great, beers were even better. My favorite beer was Black Butte Porter (which I just discovered is also on tap at the pub at UCI - yesss)

Tasty n Sons - Really great restaurant near our Airbnb, mouthwatering biscuits, all food is meant to be shared 

Ristretto Roasters - Good coffee near our Airbnb, had a really yummy fig-something scone

Pok Pok  - My favorite place to eat from the whole weekend, needed my good ol' Asian fix after so much American food, really authentic Thai/Vietnamese food, street food vibes 

Voodoo Doughnuts - Nothing good here, wouldn't recommend at all, we heard Blue Star Donuts is way better but they were all sold out when we arrived

Pine State Biscuits - Popular chicken and biscuits place, I got the spicy chicken biscuit sandwich 

Salt and Straw - Yummy ice cream, nice girls working there, favorite flavors were Honey Lavendar and Stumptown Coffee & Burnside Bourbon 

Cheryl's on 12th - Nice brunch spot in downtown, right around the corner to Powell's Bookstore  

Bars
Beech Street Parlor - Old house turned local bar, interesting vibes with mellow DJs

Portland City Grill  - Overall really liked this place, on the 30th floor so nice view of the city, we sat in front of the pianist and he was great, sushi was alright 

The Secret Society - Nice vibes, had a great band playing the night we came, older crowd with dance floor 

Ground Kontrol  - My favorite place we went to at night, it's an arcade bar with a lot of beer on tap, mainly my favorite because I beat the whole Simpsons arcade game with some random new friends who also came from CA

Activities 
International Rose Test Garden

Portland Japanese Garden - both this and rose garden are in Washington Park
Lan Su Chinese Garden - small garden in Chinatown 

Wunderland Cinema and Nickel Games - $6 movies and arcade 

Portland Saturday Market - lots of food carts and interesting vendors 

Shopping in Downtown - gotta take advantage of the no-sales tax






My favorite section of the whole bookstore. Hmmm...I wonder why. 


Overall great weekend trip! I'm not sure if I would ever come back, but if I did I would definitely do more hiking and bring a car to go visit places outside of Portland since there isn't too much to do inside the city. Also, aced all of my finals so there's that. #yolovacations do work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric